Land at The D-Day Story for five awesome events this fall
Visitors to the popular museum, run by Portsmouth City Council, will have the opportunity to enjoy a variety of events which are mostly included with their The D-Day Story ticket. There will also be a free online event streamed on The D-Day Story Facebook page, so people can learn more about D-Day from home.
Three of the events will be aboard the latest Landing Craft Tank (LCT 7074) which played a vital role in transporting men and supplies across the English Channel for D-Day.
Events range from twilight choir performances aboard LCT 7074, a poppy brooch-making class, lectures from historical and military experts, and a book launch.
Cllr Steve Pitt, Cabinet Member of the Council for Culture, Leisure and Economic Development, said: “There are some fantastic events happening at The D-Day Story this fall with such variety that I’m sure everyone will find something they like. I’m especially glad there’s even an online event, to reach those who can’t attend in person. I encourage everyone to visit at least one of these experiences in any capacity, and I must say a huge thank you to the knowledgeable and dedicated team at The D-Day Story for arranging such wonderful opportunities.
For more information on any of the events, visit theddaystory.com and click on “events”.
Full list of events:
- Overture to Twilight with Raise Your Voice Choir – Friday, September 9, 2022, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Twilight tours of LCT 7074 and ending with a choir concert. Included in the entrance to the museum.
- Landing Craft Legacy Live Stream – Wednesday, September 14, 2022, from 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Free interactive livestream with members of The D-Day Story team broadcasting from LCT 7074 on board to share their story, from The D-Day Story Facebook page.
- Twilight opening with exclusive talks – Thursday, September 22, 2022, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Twilight tours of LCT 7074 throughout the evening. Included in the entrance to the museum.
- Viewing South Coast Modelers – Saturday September 24, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. An exhibition of fantastic military models made by the model makers of the south coast. Free, no need to book.
- Poppy Stumpwork Brooch Embroidery Daily Class – Friday, September 30, 2022, from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Poppy brooch class hosted by Royal School of Needlework tutor Anita Harrison. Suitable for all skill levels, although some hand embroidery experience would be helpful. Costs £135 and must be booked in advance.
- Book launch with veteran Andrew Rigsby – Saturday October 1, 2022, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Join author Andrew Rigsby, former Royal Navy and Falklands veteran, to launch his new book exploring military influence on the English language. Free, no need to book.