Update on the COVID-19 pandemic in British Columbia | Government of British Columbia News
As of Friday, October 15, 2021, 89.0% (4,126,668) of eligible individuals aged 12 and over in British Columbia received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.0% (3,848,689) received their second dose.
Additionally, 89.5% (3,870,725) of all eligible adults in British Columbia received their first dose and 83.7% (3,621,151) received their second dose.
British Columbia is reporting 667 new cases of COVID-19, including two epilated cases, for a total of 196,433 cases in the province.
There are 5,128 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 188,851 people who tested positive have recovered. Among the active cases, 367 people are hospitalized and 152 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the hospital total. They do not add to the number of people hospitalized.
New / active cases include:
- 246 new cases at Fraser Health
- Total number of active cases: 2,221
- 75 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- 101 new cases in Internal Health
- 184 new cases in Northern Health
- 59 new cases at Island Health
- two new cases of people residing outside Canada
In the past 24 hours, 13 new deaths have been reported, for a global total of 2,055.
New deaths include:
- Fraser Health: 11
- Internal health: two
Note: Deaths at Willingdon Care Center are reflected in today’s figures.
There has been a new outbreak in a health care facility at GR Baker Memorial Hospital (Northern Health). The outbreak at the Good Samaritan Delta View Care Center (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 19 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Willingdon Care Center, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum (Fraser Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Center, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Center (Interior Health); and
- Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
- University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital (Northern Health); and
- Tofino General Hospital (Island Health).
- assisted or independent living:
- Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor (Fraser Health); and
- Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
From October 7 to 13, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 68.3% of cases and from September 30 to October 30. 13, they represented 76.3% of hospitalizations.
Last Week’s Case (Oct 7-13) – Total 4,019
- Unvaccinated: 2,478 (61.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 265 (6.6%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,276 (31.7%)
Cases of the last two weeks hospitalized (Sept. 30-Oct. 13) – Total 439
- Unvaccinated: 312 (71.1%)
- Partially vaccinated: 23 (5.2%)
- Fully vaccinated: 104 (23.7%)
Last week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (October 7 to 13)
- Unvaccinated: 273.3
- Partially vaccinated: 76.2
- Fully vaccinated: 30.4
In the past two weeks, hospitalized cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 30-Oct. 13)
- Unvaccinated: 51.3
- Partially vaccinated: 10.4
- Fully vaccinated: 2.3
Since December 2020, the province has administered 8,025,356 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For new regional restrictions in the Northern Health Region, visit:
For more information on a third dose for moderately to severely immunocompromised people, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
As it becomes available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
To view the progress reports on the surgical renewal commitment, visit:
To learn more about how British Columbia counts its daily cases of COVID-19 in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn more about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the August 12, 2021 announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For more information on breakthrough cases, see the BC Center for Disease Control (BCCDC) Weekly Data Summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data# summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be vaccinated or to learn more about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register
For instructions and advice from the provincial health worker, visit:
For advice on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates including number of cases, prevention, risks and to find a testing center near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit: